Be a game artist and turn your gaming love into a career: Know about skills, and job prospects
But now, with the arrival of smartphones, people in remote corners of the country are also downloading games to play. Nasscom predicts the gaming industry to soon reach 1 billion.
Why this is the right time to make a career in the gaming industry
There are quite a few gaming companies in India but the massive gap in the supply of game designers and game artists here makes it a career choice absolutely ripe for the picking!
Moreover, India is moving closer to the time when the majority of its population is formed of youth who are in school or working. This is the target audience of the gaming industry.
Gaming is now increasingly used as an information spreading tool in education, marketing, banking and other fields. Moreover, apart from mobile gaming and PC gaming, we even have games on X-Box, Nintendo, PlayStation and simulation games.
Various job roles in the gaming industry
The gaming industry has various types of jobs -- game artist, game developer, game decoder, game tester, audio engineer, 3D modeler, concept artist, game programmer, software developer etc.
The industry has four basic parts:
- game development (requires logic and art)
- game design (requires art and visualization skill)
- game art (requires skills of drawing, colour concepts and visualization)
- game testing (requires logic and effort)
Concentrating on the Game Art discipline,the primary positions include:
1. Artist: Starting position which entails hands-on art creation under the Lead Artist's supervision.
2. Senior Artist: Experienced artists (at least 4 to 5 years) typically entrusted with more complex art creation tasks on a project. They are expected to work mostly independently and can take a couple of junior artists under their wings.
3. Lead Artist: Talented artists with team management skills who can lead an artist team in specific areas such as Character creation or Environment creation.
4. Art Director: Senior position holders with strong leadership skills along with visualization and artistic. They are responsible for laying out the artistic vision for a game.
Some of the other common job titles include Animator, Animation Director, Concept Artist, Illustrator, and Game QC Artist.
Educational qualifications you need to be a game artist
There are diploma, degree, and certificate courses available specifically for game designing and game animation as well such as courses on 2D or 3D animation, VFX etc.
So, if you are passionate about making a career in game art, you can check out free courses on game animation from online education websites right after finishing your class 10 exams.
Popular institutes in India offering courses for game artists and game designers
- NID (National Institute of Design), Ahmedabad
- MAEER'S MIT Institute of Design, Pune
- Indian School of Design and Innovation, Mumbai
- Haldia Institute of Management (HIM), Haldia
- Asian Institute of Gaming and Animation (AIGM), Bangalore
- The Indian Institute of Digital Art & Animation (IIDAA), Kolkata
- Creative Mentors Animation College (CMAC), Hyderabad
- ANITECH College of Technology and Management (ANITECH), Bangalore
- Seamedu School of Pro-Expressionism (SSPE), Pune
- Image Institute of Multimedia Animation and Graphic Effects ( IIMAGE ), Himayat Nagar Hyderabad
- Backstage Pass Institute of Gaming and Technology (BPIGT), Hyderabad
- Global Institute of Gaming & Animation (GIGA), Chennai
- Toonz Academy, Trivandrum