- To support research that can lead to the innovation of products or processes for further development and commercialisation
- To generate new scientific knowledge and strengthen national research capacity and capability
Types Of Research - Applied Sciences
This fund is open to all research scientists and engineers who are employed on a permanent or contractual basis from the following organisations:
- Government Research Institutions (GRIs)
- Social Sciences and Humanities
- Public and Private Institutions of Higher Learning (IHL) with accredited research programmes
- Note :
- Expatriates working under contract with any of the above institutions are eligible to apply. However, the project must have a permanent Malaysian co-researcher from the same institution, well-versed with the project, to ensure its completion in the event the expatriate’s contract is terminated.
- The service of a contract researcher must be valid during the period of research proposed and contractual documents must be furnished as proof of employment for the period.
- The following organisations are not eligible for ScienceFund:
- Private Research Institutions (PRIs) in the private sector;
- Other department/agencies that carry out research under their purview; and
- Research Institutions (RIs) with internal research funding such as Cess Fund.
These organisations can participate by collaborating with the eligible institutions.
Project proposals substantially similar to proposals submitted to any other government funding agencies.
Researchers can lead only one (1) project at any time. Researchers have to submit the End of Project Report (EPR), before submitting a new application.
Scope Of Funding
The funding can be utilised for the following categories:
- Wages and Allowances for Temporary and Contract Personnel
- Travel and Transportation
- Research Materials and Supplies
- Minor Modifications and Repairs
- Special Services
- R&D Equipment and Accessories
The project duration is up to 30 months.
Quantum Of Funding
The quantum for each project is up to RM500,000.00.
Selection Criteria Of The Project
Scientific and technical merit: The project must be scientifically sound, technically feasible with achievable milestones, and has the potential for further development and commercialisation.
Research competence: The research team must have the knowledge and competency to carry out the research successfully to completion.
Innovativeness of the research.
High impact research: Clear and measureable expected output, outcome and impact in line with National Key Economic Areas / National Key Result Areas (NKEA/NKRA).
Application for ScienceFund must be made online through the website
For Further Information, Please Contact:
Fund Management Section, Planning Division
Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI)
Level 3, Block C5, Parcel C
Federal Government Administrative Centre
Tel: 603 – 8885 8842 / 8852 / 8145 / 8758 / 8778
Fax: 603 – 8889 2994