Secondly, internships have stipends attached to it. Although, they are not much or the amount which is paid is not significant but the best bit is, it’s your to keep and you can spend it in any way you like. However, internships are often criticized due to the duties it entails such as getting coffee to the senior or making photocopies.
I am not denying that the above does not occur, still, it's better than sitting at home during summers.
1. Develop and/or build on skillsExperts say that one of the major reasons why a summer internship is important is because individuals develop new skillset. Moreover, it offers a chance to the students to focus on certain skills which if they dedicate time and effort on can give them an edge when they step into the practical world to pursue a career.
These very interns stay ahead in their game as a result when compared to their colleagues who haven’t had any prior internship experience and who are only now starting to figure out the ropes of a workplace environment.
2. Network, network, networkOkay enough with the learning curve, you are not just there to learn but also to interact with people around you. That is how you network. Networking is overlooked when we talk about workplace because we are always so focused on learning new skills and attending job duties that we forget that we need people alongside to achieve success in life.
Interns can take full advantage of this opportunity. It is because when their internship period is over they would be needing a recommendation from colleagues so that they can land a full-time role in the organization. Even if they leave, the networks they have made will refer or inform them of job opportunities elsewhere.
3. Improve the resumeSo you have graduated and are about to start your first full-time job hunt but you don't have experience. Thus you only put how passionate you are about a certain field and how good you did in school – grades and everything. Now take the case of the person who has had a summer internship at a reputable firm.
He will have a lot more to say on his resume. His resume will be considered over others, naturally. The resume with experience speaks volumes in terms of the sacrifice made on the part of the student to dedicate his time and energy for seeking out professional skills and work experience.
4. Gain real world work experienceI made the mention of it in my opening para. Nothing beats the real world experience. What we learn in the classrooms is only a tip of the ice berg. And there is no best way to experience practical life than by working where you are faced with challenging job assignments, meeting deadlines, dealing with different kinds of people and so on.
5. Apply classroom concepts to real work lifeThis is it! Whatever concepts and theories you have learned in the comfortable setting of your classroom, it is now time to put them to test. You will see it is way different. The theoretical world is limited and is limited to books alone. In the practical world, only a minute percentage of what we learn is applied rest is all learning by doing.
Author bio: Sirena Atkinson is a professor at a leading institution and loves to write. You can contact her for any help with assignment writing by visiting the website.